WAYFAIR: 20 QUESTIONS WITH ANDESIGN
Designer of the Month
Name: Dana Wang, Principal
Emily Taber-Moore, Senior Interior Designer
Firm: andesign, inc.
Location: La Jolla, California
Years in Industry: 20 & 8, respectively
Social: Facebook | Instagram
Get to Know Emily and Dana
1. If you weren’t a designer what would you be?
2. What’s the first thing you do in the morning?
Emily: Aside from snoozing my alarm six times? Make a kale smoothie.
3. What’s No. 1 on your bucket list right now?
Emily: Have an Eat, Pray, Love adventure.
4. What’s on your nightstand?
Dana: My iPad and a design book.
Emily: Water, a mug of tea, and my iPhone.
5. What are the three things you do right before company arrives?
Dana: Prepare tea, add fresh flowers, turn on soothing music.
Emily: Ensure my bar is fully-stocked, light naturally scented candles, and frantically organize the million throw pillows on my sofas.
6. What’s your favorite drink of choice?
Emily: A Moscow Mule.
7. Favorite vacation destination?
Dana: Tokyo, Japan.
Emily: I love Florence, Italy. I lived there for five months, but Positano—this stunning island—took my breath away.
8. Describe your aesthetic in three words.
As a firm, our diverse backgrounds allow us to adapt to any style, but collectively our personal aesthetic reflects clean, organic, and contemporary looks.
9. Design Rules: One to break? One to always follow?
Emily: One rule to break? Break all of them! There are no boundaries in good design. Always mix styles. Never be afraid to put something vintage in a modern room, it gives the space character.
10. Favorite color combo?
Dana: Gray, blue, and orange.
Emily: Literally 50 different shades of gray, white, and blue.
11. Which celebrity’s house would you love to get your hands on?
Emily: Emma Stone for the win! I think she would be so fun to work with.
12. Share one tip for someone looking to bust out of a style rut.
Emily: Take a walk, check out a new neighborhood, look around (not at your phone), and ground yourself before diving back in.
13. Is there a trend you would love to try, but haven’t been able to talk a client into yet?
Emily: I've been dying to use Ellie Cashman wallpaper for two years, and I finally found a client who is letting me put it on her office ceiling!
14. What made you go into the interior design field and what keeps you there?
Emily: When I was a kid I'd go to friends’ houses and rearrange their rooms for fun. I decided in 8th grade that I'd pursue a career in interior design. I’ve stayed in the industry because of my passion to create an experience—not just a design. I want a room to tell a story.
Dana: I initially wanted to be an architect because I like the detailed and technical aspect, but I also the fact that every day is different.
15. What’s the best design advice you’ve ever been given?
Emily: Be adaptable. A great designer can design in any style and is constantly evolving.
16. What’s your most treasured piece in your home?
Dana: Caracole arm chairs.
Emily: Fornasetti face plates. I hung mine on the wall as artwork. They each have their own personality.
17. Which designer do you admire most?
Dana: Le Corbusier was ahead of his time and forever an influence.
Emily: Patricia Uriquola is a force to be reckoned with.
18. Quote to live by?
Emily: "An idea is salvation by imagination." —Frank Lloyd Wright
19. Where do you go for inspiration when you’re feeling stumped?
Emily: Pinterest and Instagram are my saviors, it’s so inspiring to see such diverse work from all over the globe.
20. Who do you follow on Instagram?
Emily: More like, who don't I follow? Inspiring designers, artists, small shop owners. Becki Owens, Jessie Miller, and Consort Design are some of my favorites currently.
The full article can also be viewed here.
Welcome to the inner workings of our minds! Here you will find random musings ranging from creative exploits, everyday adventures, our current must-haves and everything in between. We hope you enjoy, and thanks for stopping by!